GasBuddy and Cuebiq Foot Traffic Study Sheds Light on Customer Behavior in 2017; Forecasts 2018
(January 25, 2018) — GasBuddy, the only smartphone app connecting more than 70 million drivers with their Perfect Pit Stop, and Cuebiq, a leading location intelligence and measurement company with the largest, most accurate location database in the U.S., have released their latest quarterly joint study examining foot traffic of GasBuddy users to convenience stores and gas stations across the U.S. Based on an analysis of nearly 121 million consumer trips, this report examines 2017 trends and includes analysis, insights, and a 2018 convenience retailing forecast by the award-winning editorial team at CSP.
Leveraging Cuebiq’s proprietary intelligence platform and data collection methodology, the companies analyzed anonymous geo-behavioral patterns of GasBuddy’s app users, which allowed them to gain insights into its users’ offline behavior such as frequency of station visits, fueling patterns, how long they spend at a location and brand loyalty, and offered recommendations to make these insights actionable for retailers.
Key study highlights include:
- Ricker’s Captures the Top Spot in 2017. The Indiana-based retailer edges out the competition for the highest ratio of footfall per station in 2017—nearly five times the industry average. Costco claims second place after capturing the top spot in Q4, and Meijer comes in a close third.
- Good Forecourt Lighting is Good for Business. Throughout 2017, there was a strong correlation between overnight foot traffic and the quality of forecourt lighting. Stations near interstates with above-average outdoor lighting ratings on GasBuddy saw a 50% increase in foot traffic, during the hours of 9:00pm to 5:00am, when compared to those with below-average ratings.
- Visits Were Up in Q4. From Q3 to Q4 2017, visits to gas stations and convenience stores saw an uplift of 5.15%.
- Busiest Time of the Day. An analysis of location data reveals that Friday at 12:00pm saw the highest average levels of foot traffic in 2017. Lunch hours were the busiest during the work week, and the morning commute was comparatively slower.
- GasBuddies Go Beyond the Pump. McDonald’s narrowly edged out Subway to become GasBuddies’ favorite quick-service restaurant of 2017, and Starbucks took the title over Dunkin’ Donuts in the coffee shop category. Some holiday weekends were popular times to shop and dine out, but others were comparatively slow. GasBuddies rushed to retailers on Thanksgiving weekend to leverage post-holiday sales, but many chose to stay home during Christmas.
- CSP Forecasts 2018. The award-winning editorial team at CSP forecasts key trends that are set to drive industry progress—and pain—in the year to come.
View the full report here.
During 2017, GasBuddy and Cuebiq analyzed location visit data at more than 100 fuel and convenience store brands across the United States to understand foot traffic trends, provide geo-behavioral and consumer insights and identify the impact of key factors such as the customer experience, ratings and holiday travel on POI visits.
GasBuddy is a smartphone app connecting drivers with their Perfect Pit Stop. With more than 70 million downloads, GasBuddy is the leader in crowdsourced information to help drivers find the best gas prices, closest stations, friendliest service, cleanest restrooms, tastiest coffee and much more. GasBuddy is the leading source for the most accurate, real-time fuel prices at more than 140,000 gas stations in the U.S, Canada and Australia. The Company’s B2B Retailer Software-as-a-Service (SaaS), known as GasBuddy Business Pages, provide Fuel Marketers and Retailers their best opportunity to maintain their station information, manage their brand, and promote to their target consumer audience.
Cuebiq is a next generation location intelligence and measurement company, leveraging the largest database of accurate and precise location data in the U.S. to help marketers map and measure the consumer journey. Its leading data intelligence platform analyzes location patterns of 61 million monthly active U.S. smartphone users on over 180 mobile apps, allowing businesses to glean actionable insights about real-world consumer behaviors and trends. Cuebiq’s SaaS platform provides clients offline location analytics, real-time campaign optimization and footfall attribution, and geo-behavioral audiences for cross-platform ad targeting. Cuebiq does not collect any personally identifiable information. Its privacy-sensitive methodology has earned the company membership status with the Network Advertising Initiative (NAI), the leading self-regulatory industry association dedicated to responsible data collection and its use for digital advertising. Cuebiq is headquartered in New York with offices in San Francisco, Chicago, Italy, and China.
For more than 20 years, CSP and its award-winning editorial team have covered the convenience and petroleum retailing industry, consistently at the forefront of the day’s critical issues and trends, keeping business leaders one step ahead of the competition. Read the latest news and analysis and access the most recent issue at CSPDailyNews.com